For the right price, anyone could blow up Trump's old casino
Friday 18th December 2020
A professional auction company is taking bids to see who will be the person who blows up the old Trump Plaza casino hotel in Atlantic City.
One of President Donald Trump's former Atlantic City casinos will be blown up in 2021, and for the right price, anyone could be the one to press the button that brings it down.
Yes, according to US reports, the demolition of the former Trump Plaza casino will become a fundraiser to benefit the Boys & Girls Club of Atlantic City that the mayor hopes will raise in excess of $1 million.
It is said that Trump's former casino was closed in 2014 and has fallen into such a state of disrepair that demolition work began earlier this year. The remainder of the structure will be dynamited on 29 January.
"Some of Atlantic City's iconic moments happened there, but on his way out, Donald Trump openly mocked Atlantic City, saying he made a lot of money and then got out," said Mayor Marty Small about the building that opened in 1984. "I wanted to use the demolition of this place to raise money for charity."
The Boys & Girls Club, which provides after-school and summer recreation, education and career-training programs for Atlantic City children and teens, has hired a professional auction company to solicit bids until 19 January, when the top bids will be revealed and a live auction will determine a winner.
Trump, then a real-estate developer, opened the casino in a prime spot at the centre of Atlantic City's Boardwalk where the Atlantic City Expressway deposited cars entering the resort. It was the site of many high-profile boxing matches, which Trump would regularly attend. It closed in 2014, one of four Atlantic City casinos to shut down that year, followed by another former Trump casino, the Taj Mahal, in 2016. That property has since reopened as the Hard Rock casino.
Trump cut most ties with Atlantic City in 2009 aside from a 10% fee for the use of his name on what were then three casinos in the city. That stake was extinguished when billionaire Carl Icahn took ownership of the company out of bankruptcy court in February 2016.
To get an idea what the casino looked like, here's a commercial for Trump's Castle, that aired constantly on New York City local television in the late 1980s.