Hit And Run: Nevada Gaming Commission Approves Casino Reopening Guidelines; PokerStars Hosts "Stars Call for Action" Charity Event On Saturday
Saturday 9th May 2020
Nevada casino move closer to reopening. PokerStars to donate $1 million towards charity poker tournament on Saturday. Find these stories and more in the Friday Hit and Run.
On Thursday, the Nevada Gaming Commission moved one step closer to reopening Nevada casinos when they approved proposals from the Nevada Control Board suggested last Friday. Governor Steve Sisolak revealed that casinos would be part of the first phase of the state's reopening plans, which begin on May 9th, with casinos possibly given the option to reopen sometime before Memorial Day. Strip casinos could be much further behind:
Among the approved guidelines are 4-handed poker tables and separated active slot machines that aim to limit casinos to operate at 50% capacity. Casinos will also implement more thorough cleaning techniques.
- On Saturday at 2 PM, PokerStars will host a "Stars Call for Action" charity tournament that will feature a variety of top celebrities including Bryan Cranston, Amy Schumer, Don Cheadle, Edward Norton and more.
The event, which was organized by Hank Azaria and Andy Bellin, will feature a $1 million prize pool donated by PokerStars with half of the winnings going to CARE International and the other half going to a charity of choice of the winners. For every celebrity that joins the tournament, PokerStars will invite one randomly selected fan to enter the tournament in a separate field before final tables from the celebrity tournament and "player" are combined into one
- Galfond Challenge Update: ActionFreak chose to take a day off on Friday, but he will return on Saturday to face off against Phil Galfond at 11 AM ET, down €246,512.56 after 4,821 hands. To watch the session live, you can tune into the Run It Once Poker Twitch channel.
Phil Galfond's comeback against Venividi continues to get attention despite ending nearly a month ago. ESPN is the latest mainstream outlet to do a piece on the Challenge:
- In notable live tournament wins, Pascal Hartmann has taken down the $1 million guaranteed $5,300 WPT Online High Roller for $205,826, while Sam Greenwood won the $10,300 WPT Online High Roller for $257,250. Artur "marathur1" Martiosyan's win at the $5,200 NLHE Midweek Freeze highlights the recent results at the PokerStars SCOOP.
- Through over a half-dozen events, the PokerStars SCOOP has been a big success thus far. In response to the player numbers so far, PokerStars has increased the guarantees of the remaining events by $10 million to a total of $95 million.
- In Friday's featured classic poker training video, we continue our look at CFTheNaturals's "Why I Love the Micros" series. In Part of the 5 series, CFTheNatural reviews a session where he lost two early pots against his opponents despite being a big favorite, but managed to get revenge later in the session.
- Mike "Timex" McDonald sits down with Remko to talk about two classic episodes from High Stakes Poker, Season 7. The session features the likes of Phil Galfond, Johnny Chan, Antonio Esfandiari and Doyle Brunson.
- Jaime Staples makes the final table of a Grand Prix event on May 3rd in his latest YouTube video of Twitch highlights: