State could approve new Terre Haute casino early next year
Saturday 7th December 2019
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indiana officials could give the go ahead for a new casino in Terre Haute sometime early next year.
Indianapolis-based Spectacle Entertainment was the only company submitting an application for the Terre Haute casino license by this past week's deadline set by the Indiana Gaming Commission.
Spectacle is proposing to build a $125 million casino and potentially hire 600 workers.
Gaming Commission director Sara Gonso Tait says its staff could complete its review of Spectacle's application during the first three months of 2020.
× We can't do it without you. Support local journalism with our BEST DEAL EVER! Already a subscriber? Log in or Activate your account. Loading&hellp; × Keep reading for FREE! Enjoy more articles by signing up or logging in. No credit card required.
More than 60% of Vigo County voters supported allowing the casino in a November referendum.
Spectacle bought the Gary casino operation along Lake Michigan last year and lobbied state legislators to allow its move to an on-land location along Interstate 80/94.
The Indianapolis Star reported in March that Spectacle CEO Rod Radcliff treated Republican Gov. Eric Holcomb to private jet flights last year as they traveled together for meetings in Colorado and Arizona. But the state's inspector general concluded the governor committed no wrongdoing.
Full House Resorts, which owns the Rising Star Casino in southeastern Indiana, had expressed interest in building the Terre Haute casino. A Full House executive said the company concluded it couldn't prevail in the competitive process.